Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys.

 Left Me Breathless!

I would give this book a 10+++ rating if I could!  It's easily the BEST book I've read all year...and I've read many great books. This well-researched, fast-paced, unputdownable story had me in its clutches from page one.  Set during the end of WWII, a group of people evacuating East Prussia try to reach the safety of the Baltic Sea where German ships await to help people escape the advancing Russians.

 

Told in first person by several people, each short chapter reveals a little bit more about their past and secrets while painting a dire picture of the horrifying trek through biting cold and snow with dangers all around.  And then they reach the port...

 

The ending left me breathless.


This is a young adult book, but would highly recommend it for adults and it would probably be a great selection for book clubs!

 

 

 

Annette 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus

Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

All the Broken Places by John Boyne