Liebster Award

Ich Liebe the Liebster Award!


 
In July Marianne from Let’s Read blog nominated me for the Liebster Award, an award given to smaller blogs.  I was extremely honored, especially coming from Marianne, whose book review blog I just love.  My beautiful mother passed away at the time Marianne nominated me, and although I already had posts scheduled in advanced, I wasn’t in the mood to do much, even the simple rules of the award below…until now. 

Rules for the award:

1.    Thank the amazing blogger who nominated you.  (check)
2.    Answer the 11 questions the nominator provided (answer on your blog.) (check, see below)
3.    Nominate 11 other bloggers who have less than 200 followers.
4.    Post 11 different questions for your nominees to answer on their blogs. (check, see below)
5.    Contact your nominees to let them know that you've nominated them.  (check)

Unfortunately, I really got hung up on #3 (Nominate 11 other bloggers who have less than 200 followers.)  I have three big problems with that. 

1.    I don’t follow all that many blogs.  (I just don't have that much time.)
2.    Some blogs have already been nominated. My favorite is Let’s Read, and she’s obviously already been nominated, since she passed one of her eleven torches on to me.  Marianne is amazing!  She speaks (and reads!) numerous languages and writes book reviews in English. Her site is clean and organized without many distracting extra links or ads.  I also like the type of books she reviews. 

3.    Some of the blogs I do follow seem to have much more than 200 followers. (Like http://RoadsLessTraveled.us in which a couple who travel around in their RV and sailboat post about the many places they visit.  You should see their photos of Nova Scotia!  Sign me up.  I’m ready to go!) Even the three blogs I nominated are likely to have more than 200 followers. I'm not sure how to tell.
 
So, I’m bucking the system.  I have decided to go forward with my Liebster Award by nominating my three qualifying blogs (see below).  Then as I gather more blogs along the way, I can add them later.
But first, here are my answers to Marianne’s questions.

1.    Who, what, and/or where does your blogging inspiration come from?


My blogging inspiration comes right from the books I read.  They inspire me to tell others all about the awesome treasures I find in the pages of books.


2.    What do you like about blogging?

I like being able to share books that I’m excited about, hoping that someone out there will see it and maybe pick up the book and enjoy it as much as I did.


3.    What was the most meaningful book you ever read? 

Tough one, but I would have to say “Diary of a Young Girl” by Anne Frank.


4.    Who is your favorite author?

Another tough question. I don’t particularly like to read the same author over and over again (even if they are awesome), but there are a few I keep coming back to.  Mark Twain is one of them—Love his wit!
 

5.  What is your favourite quote?

It’s too long and convoluted for me to memorize or even write down here, but it’s a paragraph from Mark Twain’s “Those Extraordinary Twins” in which he describes this nonsensical hilarious medical procedure twisted with words that just has me laughing out loud each time I read it. It begins with “I concede that great care is going to be necessary here; otherwise exudation of the esophagus is nearly sure to ensue, and this will be followed by the ossification and extradition of the maxillaries superioris, which must decompose the granular surfaces…..” It goes on and on.


6.    What is your favourite time of year? 

Definitely summer time: bike rides, walks to coffee shops, reading in the back yard, enjoying the garden, feeling the sun on my face—what could be better?


7.    If you had to teach a subject at school, what subjects do you think you would be most equipped to teach? 

I’m not equipped to teach anything, ha.  But if I had to, I'd create my own course - Organizing 101.


8.    What is the best thing about you?

I think the best thing about me is my deep love of my family.  In the end, nothing matters more.


9.    If you could only wear one colour for the rest of your life what would it be? 

I used to love green, probably because it represents my love of gardening most, but lately I seem to be drawn mostly to bright refreshing blues.


10.    What was the last movie you watched, was it a good one? 

We don’t go to the movie theater as much as we used to, but recently we went and saw “San Andreas,” an action-packed, unrealistic, but oh-so exciting movie about the major earthquake that we’ve been told would happen along the San Andreas fault in California since I was a kid in Vegas.  Rumor was that we would have waterfront property one day.


11.    What did you want to be when you were a child?

I was (and am) still lost at what I want to be when I grow up. I always had a love of gardening, but never knew how to translate that into a career.  
And My Blog Nominations Are….. (In Alpha Order):

1.    The Chocolate Lady’s Book Reviews
http://drchazan.blogspot.com/ Davida Chazan's Blog for mostly book reviews and literary musings (and maybe some chocolate).

2.    Monica’s Bookish Life

http://monicasbookishlife.blogspot.com/  A research librarian, book blogger, anglophile, and world traveler, living in the beautiful Chesapeake Bay area.

    3.    Packabook
                http://packabook.com/blog/ Packabook categorizes fiction  into the countries in which the books are set, and then explores how well each novel relates to its location. Also includes some memoires, travelogues, biographies and histories for those who prefer non-fiction and there is even a range of guide books to help you on your way.

 My Eleven Questions for the New Nominees: (some of them I have talked about in my own posts. Click to read my answers.)











11. If you had to choose, would you rather visit Paris or Venice?

As Marianne mentioned in her blog, she’s not sure where the award originated, but she did find a link to the original idea with some twists.  The Liebster Award–General Info and Rules.

Thanks again, to Marianne and everyone who reads my blog. 

Happy reading, 
Annette


Comments

Marianne said…
Thank you so much for carrying this on, Annette. I am sorry for the loss of your mother. Please, receive my sincerest condolences. My father passed away last year and it took me quiet a while, as well, to get back to blogging. Or anything at all.

Don't worry about nominating three instead of eleven, I think that is more than fine. Better three that you really like than adding eight more just to make up the numbers. I had some trouble, as well, not because I don't know many good blogs (and you were one that came to my mind right away) but for the same reasons you mentioned, a lot of them have many followers. However, my favourites are those with not that many followers, it's so much easier to get to know them and their likes, to communicate with each other, as we do from time to time.

Anyway, thank you so much for your kind words about my blog. I started it more or less for a few friends who were in our book club and moved away. But I am happy I did, I really enjoy it.

I have enjoyed your answers very much and found there is one more thing we have in common besides the obvious love of books, my favourite colours are blue and green.

In any case, it's always a pleasure reading your blog entries. I might not comment as often as I would like to, mostly due to my migraines, but I always enjoy them.

Have a happy reading week,
Marianne from
Let's Read
Connecting with people like you is the real joy of blogging. Thank you!
Marianne said…
My pleasure. And likewise. :)
As I said on Pinterest, thank you for the nomination. I'll work on it as soon as I can (and those questions are quite thought provoking)!
Great! Remember, there's no time limit. Have fun!
Annette
Anonymous said…
Congratulations Annette. What an awesome thing for you to be nominated for this award. Especially for something you love doing. Congratulations!

Popular posts from this blog

All the Broken Places by John Boyne

The Little Italian Hotel by Phaedra Patrick

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus