February 2026 Book Recaps

 February 2026 Book Recaps

Vera Wong’s Unsolicited Advice for Murderers by Jesse Sutanto  (Book Club)

This is a fun cozy mystery where 60-year-old Vera Wong finds a dead man in her tea shop, and, despite police findings, decides it’s a murder that needs to be investigated. She’s astute, observant, and she’s also opinionated, blunt, and bossy, commanding respect and obedience. She’s also very likable and compassionate. Her suspects don’t mind enduring her interrogations too much, especially when she’s serving them good food all the time. 

 

I actually  got hungry reading this book where she describes the many mouthwatering Chinese meals she makes, so much so, that I decided to buy a rice steamer and attempt to make my own California Sushi Rolls. In the end, the flavor of the rolls were very  good, but I need to work on the technique, starting with paying attention to the steamer. Tip: never leave the steamer to go on your computer in the other room “for just a minute or two.” Luckily, my husband walked into the kitchen when he smelled the bamboo burning!  No real fire started, so we’re all good, but I did have to sand down the charred bottom part of the steamer. Lesson learned! 

 

Vera would have scolded me! But then she would have shown me how to do it properly. Where’s Vera when I need her?

 

This was my book club selection and everyone loved her!  She has a sequel, but I just might wait for the 3rdbook not out yet, where rumor has it, Vera and her nemesis, Winifred, go to Europe.

 

 

Before the Law, A Message from the Emperor, and An Old Leaf by Franz Kafka

 

 

February Classic Challenge:

Grimms Fairy Tales (🔗)


Happy Reading!

Annette

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Free Libraries, Coeur d'Alene, ID Update

Little Free Library: 8 Things You Need to Know Before You Build It

Liebster Award