Sunday, January 4, 2015

2015 Book Challenge

ReadingintheGarden.blogspot.com 

2015 Book Challenge 



Happy New Year!!  To all you book lovers, here’s an entertaining challenge for 2015.  Let’s see how many books you can mark off this list.   Have fun!  

     ·         Read a book set in an “A” state:  Alabama, Alaska, 
               Arizona, Arkansas

     ·         Read a memoir

     ·         Buy a book from your local bookstore

     ·         Join a regular or online book club

     ·         Read a suspense/thriller

     ·         Read a book from 
                      “Kicking it with the Classics”

     ·        Read a book from The Rory Gilmore Reading 
              Challenge” listed at 
              ReadingintheGarden.blogspot.com

     ·         Read a book with a number in the title

     ·         Read a book with a color in the title

     ·         Read a book set in a foreign country

     ·         Read a book to a child

     ·         Read a book from the library

     ·         Give a book as a gift

     ·         Read a novella 
               (longer than a short story, shorter than a novel)

     ·         Read a book set in winter, snow, or ice

     ·         Read a book that has or will become a movie

     ·         Read a Pulitzer-prize winning book

     ·         Read a book containing magic or supernatural events

     ·         Read a book set in the 1800s

     ·         Read a travel book

     ·         Read a book off the shelf 
                without seeing what it’s about

     ·         Read a book about siblings

     ·         Read a book set on an island

     ·         Read a book with only two words in the title

     ·         Read a novel that has a recipe in it

     ·         Read a book your significant other has read

     ·         Read an historical fiction novel

     ·         Read a book about an animal

     ·         Read a book outside your comfort zone

     ·         Read a book about art

     ·         Read an Agatha Christie book

     ·         Read a book that makes you laugh out loud

     ·         Read a book that makes you cry

     ·         Put a dollar in a book and donate it

     ·         Recommend a book to a stranger

     ·         Learn and use four vocabulary words from a book

     ·         Read a book with a war setting

     ·         Read a 400+ page book

     ·         Read a book from a local author



See Suggestions Below
CLICK ON TITLES TO READ REVIEWS

Read a book set in an “A” state:  Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas.  Some suggestions from past reviews: Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (Alaska) • The Diary of Mattie Spenser by Sandra Dallas (Arizona) • A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg (Alabama)



Buy a book from your local bookstore: I get my books from many places, but my three favorite local bookstores are The Well-Read Moose, Browsers Uncommon Books, which sells used books, and the library bookstore called Second Story Books. 

Join a regular or online book club.  I have been part of a book club for many years and love it.

Read a suspense/thriller. Some suggestions from past reviews:  The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins • Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn • The Martian • Zoo by James Patterson and Michael Ledgwidge.

Read a classic book from “Kicking it with the Classics” reading list at ReadingintheGarden.BlogSpot.com

Read a book from “The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge” listed at ReadingintheGarden.BlogSpot.com


Read a book with a color in the title. Some suggestions from past reviews:  The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson • The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls • Tea and Green Ribbons by Evelyn Doyle


Read a book to a child. I read to my granddaughter all the time.  One of her favorites is The Monster at the End of the Book. 

Read a book from the library.  Sadly, I failed at this one--probably because I have soooooo many books that I have no need to check one out.  I do, however, buy many of my books at the bookstore in our library where I volunteer--not because I need them, just because I can't help myself. I get some of the latest titles for a dollar--who could resist?  

Give a book as a gift.  Of course, I give my granddaughter books for Christmas and her birthday, and sometimes other family members, too.

Read a novella (longer than a short story, shorter than a novel). Some suggestions from past reviews:  The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros • The Log of the SS the Mrs Unguentine by Stanley Crawford • The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka • Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Read a book set in winter, snow, or ice. Some suggestions from past reviews:  Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton • City of Thieves by David Benioff • A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick. • Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson.


Read a Pulitzer-prize winning book. Some suggestions from past reviews. Beloved by Toni Morrison  • The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway  •  Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Stout



Read a book off the shelf without seeing what it’s about. I did grab a book from the library bookstore, which I read without knowing what it's about.  Unfortunately, I didn't really like it and did not do a review on it.

Read a book about siblings. Suggestions from past reviews:  The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan.   •  Patty Jane's House of Curl by Lorna Landvik   • The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown   



Read a novel that has a recipe in it.  Suggestions from past reviews: The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George (review to come) • Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran.

Read a book your significant other has read.  The Martian by Andy Weir • The Ridiculous Race by  Steve Hely and Vali Chandrasakaran I read them first and recommended them to him.  One book I've read years ago that my husband recommended to me was "Co. Aytch" by Sam Watkins--a confederate's memoir of the Civil War--Excellent book!

Read an historical fiction/narrative novel. Suggestions from past reviews:  The Lady in Gold by Anne-Marie O'Connor • Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland's History-Making Race Around the World by Matthew Goodman (review to come)

Read a book about an animal.  Suggestions from past reviews:  Amazing Gracie by Dan Dye and Mark Beckloff • Dog On It by Spencer Quinn. • Modoc by Ralph Helfer  

Read a book outside your comfort zone. The Martian by Andy Weir (Loved it!)


Read an Agatha Christie book. Suggestions from past reviews:  And Then There Were None (review to come)  • Murder on the Orient Express • Death on the Nile.

Read a book that makes you laugh out loud. Suggestions from past reviews:  Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris •  My Uncle Oswald by Roald Dahl. • A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson 

Read a book that makes you cry. Suggestions from past reviews:   The Light Between the Ocean by M.L. Stedman • Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck No books that I read in 2015 made me cry.

Put a dollar in a book and donate it. I put a dollar in a kid's chapter book and put it in a Little Free Library.  I hope it makes his or her day.   :)

Recommend a book to a stranger. I do that all the time with my blog.


Learn and use four vocabulary words from a book. I gleaned many new vocabulary words from Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

Read a book with a war setting:  Suggestions from past reviews: A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway • The Lady in Gold by Anne-Marie O'Connor

Read a 400+ page book: I don't particularly enjoy reading 400+ page books.  I almost feel like they're holding me hostage when I'm itching to get on with the next book.  Maybe I have book ADHD.   Suggestions from past reviews:   Moby-Dick by Herman Melville • Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson.

Read a book from a local author. FAIL for 2015!  BUT one of my favorite and most memorable books I've previously read is from a Spokane, WA author (Spokane is about 40 minutes from Coeur d'Alene, ID.)  "Bold Spirit: Helga Estby's Forgotten Walk Across Victorian America" by Linda Lawrence Hunt is the true account of a woman's attempt to earn money for her family in 1896 by walking across the U.S with her daughter. EXCELLENT BOOK! So good that I would consider reading it again--and I don't say that about many books.



Happy Reading!

Annette

Questions or comments?  Email   Readinginthegarden@gmail.com

6 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just something fun, nothing too complicated. We'll see if I can check them all off at the end of the year. :)

      Delete
  2. I will let you know how many I get checked off at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I think it will also be fun to find books that will check off several of the items at once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I would look back at this challenge and see if I can check any of them off from the books I read this past year. Quite a few, actually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! We seem to read many of the same types of books (which is probably why I like your blog so much). I made a new 2016 challenge, though it's a much shorter list than 2015. Happy reading!

      Delete