Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Oddly Alluring

You’ve probably seen the creepy cover of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.  It’s a black and white image of a spooky looking little girl who’s actually levitating off the ground.  It reminded me of A Dark Dividing by Sarah Rayne which had a double dose of disturbing girls on the cover, and was an eerie, suspenseful book.  I really liked it. But Miss Peregrine’s was nothing like A Dark Dividing and was equally as good in a completely different kind of way. 

This book is about sixteen-year-old Jacob who sets out on a journey of discovery after his grandfather dies under mysterious circumstances.  Before taking his last breath, Grandpa Portman sputters out some clues to his fatal injuries, clues that tie into stories, fairy tales that Grandpa had been telling Jacob since he was a small child.  Jacob determines to solve the enigma and eventually ends up on an island in Wales where he finds his way to Miss Peregrine’s home for peculiar children.

This book was like finding an unexpected treasure.  The writing was fresh, at times humorous, and it was an adventure into an “other worldly” (aka supernatural) place with an unexpected story. The most unique element of the book was the collection of vintage photos that were scattered throughout the pages and were part of the story.  I’ll admit that I did not particularly enjoy the ending, which didn’t tie things up as neatly as I like—consider the movie The Birds. Nevertheless, I really did enjoy the book.  And even though I may not be lured to the sequel ("Hollow City"), as the first book definitely is primed for, I still think it was worth reading.

Warning:  This book contains supernatural events. I failed to mention the that to someone I had recommended this book to.  She didn't finish it. Shame on me!  I should have known better.  See "Ocean" review. 

Still, I give it an oddly alluring thumbs-up.

Happy Reading,
Annette
This book is in the development stages of movie production with director Tim Burton.

This book met a few of the 2015 Book Challenges:  Read a book set in a foreign country; Read a book containing magic or supernatural events;  Read a book that has or will become a movie; Read a book set on an island.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus

The Little Italian Hotel by Phaedra Patrick

All the Broken Places by John Boyne