The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

 The Absolutely Irresistible Diary of a Part-Time Indian 


I fell in love with this book from page one! A poor, hungry, sickly, bullied fourteen-year-old Spokane Indian boy with a stutter and a lisp tries to muddle through his first year at an all-white high school.  Junior chooses to navigate two different worlds when he leaves his dreary life on the Indian reservation to attend school in the privileged white town of Reardan. Despite, or maybe because of all the tragedy in his life, Junior faces each day with an astute, sharp-as-a-blade wit and a soaring spirit.  

 

His alluring narration is heartbreaking, funny, sad, and uplifting. It covers a rainbow of emotions.  I’m so glad I finally read this celebrated, charming young adult novel that won a National Book Award! 

 

Here are some lines from the book that really grabbed me:

 

“He couldn’t beat me up with his old man fists, but he could hurt me with his old man words.” 

Sherman Alexie, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2007), 35.

 

“I was carrying the burden of my race, you know? I was going to get a bad back from it.” 

Sherman Alexie, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2007), 45.

 

“I don’t know if hope is white. But I do know that hope for me is like some mythical creature.”

Sherman Alexie, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2007), 51.

 

“Lies have short lives. Lies go bad. Lies rot and stink up the joint.”

Sherman Alexie, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2007), 119.

 

“Do you understand how amazing it is to hear that from an adult? Do you know how amazing it is to hear that from anybody? It’s one of the simplest sentences in the world, just four words, but they’re the four hugest words in the world when they’re put together.

You can do it.”

Sherman Alexie, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2007), 189.

 

 

Happy Reading!

 

Annette




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus

Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

All the Broken Places by John Boyne