Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus

 You Go, Girl!

Pure love—that’s what I felt about this book!  It’s smart, witty, and emboldening! I don’t know how many countless times I cheered or chuckled.

 

A female chemist struggles to rise above the chauvinistic male domination of the 1960s and live life on her terms despite ingrained oppression of women.  Hooray for this feminist heroine who points out that just because women’s bodies are smaller than men's doesn’t mean their brains are!

 

I fell in love with brilliant Elizabeth and her support system:  her impressively  smart daughter Mad; her straightforward neighbor Harriet; her kind-hearted producer Walter, the irreverent Reverend Wakely; and her obstetrician/rower Dr. Mason. Oh, and let’s not forget Six-Thirty, her beloved dog!

 

I would definitely be one of Elizabeth’s devoted fans of her show, Supper at Six!  If my kids were still at home, I’d mimic Elizabeth and tell them, “Children, set the table. Your mother needs a moment to herself.” (Even though I’m not the cook in the family). And instead of asking my husband to pass the salt, I now ask him to pass the sodium chloride.  

 

This book will stay with me a long, long time.  Can’t wait for the movie to come out starring Brie Larson!


Here are just a few lines from the book that made me smile:


·      “Elizabeth harangued about women accepting their subordinate positions as if they were preordained, as if they believed their smaller bodies were a biological indication of smaller brains, as if they were naturally inferior, by charmingly so.” Pg 238


·      “Pass the sodium chloride.” Pg 61


·      “Harriet thought it was wrong not to believe in God. It lacked humility. In her opinion, believing in God was required, like brushing teeth or wearing underwear.” Pg 233


Happy Reading!

Annette


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Italian Hotel by Phaedra Patrick

All the Broken Places by John Boyne