Three Weeks with My Brother by Nicholas Sparks and Micah Sparks

Traveling Brothers

Most people recognize the titles: The Notebook, Message in a Bottle, Nights in Rodanthe, A Walk to Remember—and the list goes on. To the outside world, internationally best-selling author Nicholas Sparks seems to have it all. He has seventeen hugely successful novels, eight of which have been made into movies. He has a loving wife and family. He seems blessed with the Midas touch. But reality steps in, and like everyone else, he has his own difficulties and dilemmas. Three Weeks with My Brother by Nicholas Sparks and Micah Sparks is a memoir about the Sparks brothers. It chronicles the brothers’ three-week whirlwind excursion around the world in 2003 to exotic locations like Peru, Easter Island, Australia, Cambodia, and Norway. We are with them on this once-in-a-lifetime trip, and then alternately led through their lives growing up, seeing the challenges they faced then and as adults.  Sometimes it can be humorous, like when Micah, the jokester, tries to get his photo taken in every sacred crypt on the trip.  Many times, it’s emotional. Health issues, relationship problems, and death all play roles that shape their lives. This book is about family ties, both uplifting and heartbreaking. It’s about the journey of two brothers.
Wednesday, April 10, 2013 is National Sibling Day, a day to celebrate brothers and sisters, good or bad, the ones we grew up with, our best friends, our worst enemies.  You know the old saying: “You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can’t pick your friend’s nose.”  That’s pretty much the same with family.  You can’t pick your family.  In my case, I was blessed with two wonderful sisters/friends I wouldn't trade for anyone.  

Personally, I can’t imagine growing up without my sisters. Sisters are like friends with an extra bond—a superglue bond.  We have more memories with them than probably with our own parents since we spent more time together.  We shared rooms, vacations, schools, clothes, and secrets. Life would have been dull without them.  Who would have smoked rolled up comic strips with me in the garden if not for my sisters? And who thought of that anyway?   Who would have been so stupid as to walk to the local swimming pool barefooted—in a Vegas summer on asphalt streets with me? Who would have worn a matching homemade bathing suit with me every day
throughout the summer? Who would have stripped me naked and locked me out of the house in the middle of the day?  Hmmm, that one wasn’t so funny. Who would have chased me around the house with a knife?  That one was funny only because she broke her toe when she ran into the fireplace hearth while she was chasing me. Who would I have studied with for that math class all night?  Who would have ice cream fights with me while our parents were sleeping late at night? Who would I have cried to and laughed with? Sisters are a blessing, both then and now. As adults we are still there for each other and continue to share life’s small victories as well as the hardships.  Sisters are a huge part of my life.  Without them, I would not be who I am today.  Thank God for sisters!

Happy Reading,
Annette


Comments

Anonymous said…
Loved the book!! We read it with our bookclub & I just loved it.

As for SISTERS... I am still going to therapy for all the torture throughout my childhood!!! LOL I say that but I just laugh at all the crazy times we had... good & bad!! Without MY TWO SISTERS I could NOT live my happy life!! xoxo ; 0 )

Popular posts from this blog

All the Broken Places by John Boyne

The Little Italian Hotel by Phaedra Patrick

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus