April 2026 Book Recaps
April 2026 Book Recaps
A Fortune of Sand by Ruta Sepetys
In this new historical fiction by Ruta Sepetys, she dives into the story of a wealthy American family set in the late 1920s in the Detroit area.
There's something mysterious and enigmatic about the family. Secrets abound. What are they all hiding?—The controlling loudmouth father? The second wife? Two siblings who are up to something? A handsome reclusive neighbor? And something's off about an exclusive arts program where the youngest daughter is a resident.
I had my own theories, but I did not see the twist that came! So good!
While I did enjoy this book, my favorite of Ruta’s is I Must Betray You (🔗) – Jaw-dropping!
Next favorite, Salt to the Sea.
When the Cranes Fly South by Lisa Ridzen (Book Club)
This popular book has been selected in many book clubs that are displayed in a section of the bookstore where I work—and I can see why. It’s a good one! It made me feel something. It moved me.
It is a touching book about an 89-year-old man reliving memories, speaking to his wife as if she were at home with him instead of a care facility for dementia patients. Bo still lives at home with care workers coming several times a day to help him with meals and showers. Without his dear wife, his companion is his beloved dog, but Bo’s son wants to take the dog away because he can no longer take him for walks. Hans thinks it’s not fair for the dog, completely ignoring how unfair it is for his dad to lose the one comfort he has left in the world.
This was also my book club selection and everyone liked it. We had a good discussion about aging, compassion, and how pets can bring great joy into our lives.
The Body by Stephen King
I had “The Body” by Stephen King on my TBR, but didn’t realize until recently that the movie “Stand By Me” was based on this novella. The only thing I remembered about the movie was an image of four boys walking along the railroad tracks. I had completely forgotten why they were there, so I decided to actually read the book.
At 179 pages, it’s a quick read about four 12-year-old boys in 1960, who go searching for a dead boy after one in their group overhears the older brother talking to his friend about it. The boys made their plan while in their treehouse. The setting, time period, and camaraderie immediately made me think of “The Sandlot” movie. But this one had darker undertones, not just because there was a dead boy, but also the abuse the boys themselves endured at the hand of family members.
At first I thought it might be suitable for my 12-yr-old granddaughter to read despite the abuse and foul language—she’s heard that before. She likes scary movies, so even the dead body may not have bothered her. But there was a portion where Gordie, who is writing the adventures from his memory as an adult, also writes about a sex scene when he was older. I thought that scene was unnecessary, didn’t add anything to the story, and definitely was not suitable for my granddaughter. Too bad.
Still I did like the book, and enjoyed watching the movie again after 40 years! Wow! Can you believe it’s been 40 years since the movie was released; 44 since the book was first published?!
The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas by Ursula Le Guin
“Omelas sounds in my words like a city in a fairy tale, long ago and far away, once upon a time. Perhaps it would be best if you imagined it as your own fancy bids, assuming it will rise to the occasion, for certainly I cannot suit you all.”
Well doesn’t that sound nice? A utopian city that’s like a fairy tale. Ehhh, think again. While most people are living it up in this idyllic land where people are simply happy, there’s one little secret, a sacrifice that must be made, that everyone knows about. It’s the price to pay to live there. When you read this short story, you will, of course ask yourself if you could accept the price.
Very good. Thought-provoking.
Matilda by Roald Dahl
I read this book out of love—love for the book, but mainly love for my granddaughter who’s reading it in school. I wanted to talk to her about the differences between the movie (which we watch all the time) and the book. Surprisingly, there were not that many differences. There are a couple scenes in the book that don’t appear in the movie: one about a parrot, another when Hortensia puts itching powder in Miss Trunchbull’s knickers. And there are a couple scenes in the movie that do not appear in the book: the scene when Matilda and Miss Honey sneak into Miss Trunchbull’s house and the part about the cops posing as boat salesmen. Some other minor things are different, but for the most part it’s the same wonderful story. In the book you get a better feel of just how much The Trunchbull hates little kids:
“I have never been able to understand why small children are so disgusting. They are the bane of my life. They are like insects. They should be got rid of as early as possible. We get rid of flies with fly-spray and by hanging up fly-paper. I have often thought of inventing a spray for getting rid of small children. How splendid it would be to walk into this classroom with a gigantic spray-gun in my hand and start pumping it.” – Miss Trunchbull says.
I’ve read a lot of Roald Dahl’s books with my kids and grandkids, but this is the first time I read Matilda.
April Classic Challenge:
Taming of the Shrew by Shakespeare
I am continuing my author birthday book challenge, where I will read one classic or notable book from an author whose birthday corresponds with that month. April = Shakespeare.
Shakespeare is thought to have been born around April 23, 1564 and died on April 23, 1616. I am not a big fan of Shakespeare because it’s written in almost a foreign language with words and phrases which are completely incomprehensible to me and would require me to look up words non-stop. Yet, I was so happily surprised to get this No Fear Shakespeare version where the original text is on one page, with the facing page translated into modern English!
So “I’ll pheeze you, in faith,” became “I’ll fix you, I swear.”
“I know my remedy. I must go fetch the thirdborough,” becomes “I know my rights. I’ll call a policeman.”
And when a servant brings a DIAPER to a character, I understood he wasn’t about to change his underwear into a baby diaper, a nappy, but instead, was bringing him a cloth to clean him up. Whew!!
I’d be completely lost without this translation. I have to wonder if non-English-speaking countries find Shakespeare as difficult as the average English speaking person? Are their translations easier to understand?
I chose Taming of the Shrew, because our vacation plans took us to Ashland, OR, where we watched this play on a reproduction outdoor Globe Theater stage. The stage was magnificent and we had great seats. Just wow! The actors wore bright, contemporary outfits and made the play fun, leaving us laughing out loud at times. For the most part you can guess what’s going on, even as the actors shouted their lines from the original Shakespearean text. But I am glad that I read it ahead of time because there were some things I would have missed.
Happy Reading!
Comments