September 2026 Book Recaps

 September 2026 Book Recaps

Peck & Peck by Bonnie Garmus

I loved this story of a poetry nerd landing his dream job at a prestigious publishing firm. Batter’s witty inner dialogue of his aspirations, wide-eyed naivety, and struggles with a crusty cantankerous boss in a toxic work environment really had me in stitches (and even more so in a My-Cousin-Vinny-like moment)—genius!  

 

The laughter was coupled with the nagging question throughout the book as to how this geeky greenhorn ultimately lands in jail, as the first line of the book indicated. It isn’t non-stop chuckles either; there were surprisingly tender moments, too. 

 

In the end I gained a new respect (not necessarily love, but definite respect) for poetry.  Well done!!

 

Pub Date: October 13, 2026

 

Scalpel’s Edge by Ritu Mukerji

This is an entertaining time-period mystery set in 1876 during the Philadelphia World’s Fair. I loved learning about and imagining the grand exhibits from the Post Hospital, to the exquisite horticultural building, and the Hydraulic Annex in the Machinery Hall, which had a majestic indoor waterfall. The story of a female doctor being accused of murder during a time when women were barely allowed into the medical field was captivating. 

 

Ever since reading Devil in the White City by Erik Larson, about the construction of the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair alternating with the true story of a serial killer at the exposition, I’ve been fascinated about these giant events with massive temporary buildings, displays, activities, and unveilings of new inventions that drew in millions of visitors.

 

I was so intrigued by the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition, the first world’s fair in the US, that I looked up some highlights, such as:

 

·      The Main Exhibition Building was 21 ½ acres!

·      There was a Statue of Liberty arm holding the torch where visitors could pay to walk to the gallery around the torch. (And remember, this was 10 years before the dedication of the Statue of Liberty in New York.)

Other things to keep in mind:

·      The Philadelphia fair took place only 11 years after the end of the Civil War.

·      It was 44 years before women were given the right to vote.

·      It’s mind-boggling to think that while people were visiting the fair in their elegant best clothes, across the nation, Custer’s last stand was taking place in Montana and the James-Younger Gang botched a bank heist at the Northfield First National Bank in MN, where the locals fought back in a big shootout and 3 gang members were killed. 

 

Pub date: April 13, 2027

 

Wildwood by Colin Meloy

This children’s fantasy was an enjoyable action-packed adventure.  At 541+ pages, it’s a beefy kids’ book with writing that was surprisingly sophisticated. The story starts with a 12 y/o girl who takes her baby brother to a park, and a murder of crows kidnaps him to the other side of the river in Portland, Oregon, dubbed the Impassable Wilderness. No one dares go there, but Prue, determined to get her brother back, ventures into the forest with classmate Curtis. They encounter talking animals and humans living in a conflicted society where their mission to retrieve Mac, will not be easy. 

 

There is a stop-action animated movie of Wildwood which will be released in theaters on October 23. It’s by the animators of Coraline, and I think it’s going to be an epic film. Can’t wait to see it! 

 

 

September Classic Challenge:

Invisible Man by HG Wells

💥💥💥I am continuing my author birthday challenge, where I will read one classic or notable book from an author whose birthday corresponds with that month.  For September, I chose The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells, published in 1897.

 

I enjoyed this imaginative story of a man who made himself invisible and how he tried working on a cure to reverse it while staying in a quiet little inn. In that inn, the landlady and villagers soon discover his secret and the invisible man creates much chaos and havoc to escape. At times it even seemed slapstick as people were falling over themselves against the unseen trouble-maker. 

 

The second half of the book we find out the problems that invisibility caused him rather than the mischief he could achieve with his condition, and that was much more interesting. We also learn his name: Griffin. That’s when I was really hooked. Griffin was a maniac—acerbic, self-centered, and sometimes just plain evil. He was described as “powerful, angry, and malignant.” At one point toward the ends he plans on creating a reign of terror!! Glad I read this short book; it was very entertaining.

 

“He’s mad,” said Kemp; “inhuman. He is pure selfishness. He thinks of nothing but his own advantage…” 

 

We celebrate H.G. Wells birthday born on September 21, 1866.

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Free Libraries, Coeur d'Alene, ID Update

Liebster Award

Little Free Library: 8 Things You Need to Know Before You Build It